3rd Degree Scientific Researcher, PhD., “C.S. Nicolăescu-Plopşor” Institute for Research in Social Studies and Humanities from Craiova, of the Romanian Academy, Romania;
Published on October 31, 2016
The Paşoptism-Forty-Eightism is the most important political current that influenced the political, economic, social, cultural life of Romania in the modern age, during the second half of the 19th century. The 1848 revolutionaries made a lot of plans, most of them applied after 1859. Craiova was the most important revolutionary town after Bucharest, but there was also an active counterrevolutionary party. That was due to the fact that the revolution started at Islaz, a small Danubian port from southern Walachia, but the revolutionary party had the main discussions in Craiova. A lot of Craiova’s revolutionaries became, as it is shown in the article, members of the political governments after 1859, or members of the cultural, economic, educational institutions.
Craiova, revolutionaries, 1848, government, influence, measures
- Vladimir Osiac, Ileana Petrescu, Anul revoluţionar 1848 în Oltenia, “Scrisul Românesc” Publishing House, Craiova, 1973.
- Apostol Stan, Revoluţia română de la 1848, Bucharest, 1992.
- Gheorghe Platon, Geneza revoluţiei române de la 1848: Introducere în istoria modernă a României, Iaşi, Junimea Publishing House, 1980.
- Istoria Românilor, Vol. VII, tom I, Bucharest, Encyclopedic Publishing House, 2001.
- Constantin C. Giurescu, Dinu C. Giurescu, Istoria Românilor din cele mai vechi timpuri și pînă astăzi, Bucharest, Albatros Publishing House, 1971.