3rd Degree Scientific Researcher, PhD., “C.S. Nicolăescu-Plopşor” Institute for Research in Social Studies and Humanities from Craiova, of the Romanian Academy, Romania;
Published on December 4, 2018
The period 1848-1866 is the most important one for the accomplishment of Romanians’ national ideal, the union, the creation of the modern Romanian unitary state, and the creation of the basis for obtaining the state independence of Romania. Yet, a characteristic of the Romanian society was represented by the perpetuation of the precarious situation, in which a significant part of the population was, namely the peasantry, from which the working class gradually emerged. The progressive political factors had to take action, burdened by a double constraint, that of militating for union, independence, and also of solving the stringent question of the peasants’ appropriation. The studied period illustrates completely this problem of contradiction between the necessity for modernisation, social reform, and that of collaboration for the fulfilment of the national and political desiderate.
Oltenia, social revolts, uprisings, social categories, military occupation, political modernisation.
- Paul Barbu, Documente inedite din Oltenia privind răscoala grănicerilor şi ţăranilor din 1853-1854, in “Arhivele Olteniei”, New Series, no. 1/1981.
- Corneliu Mihail Lungu, Răscoala grănicerilor şi ţăranilor din Oltenia în anii 1853-1854, in “Revista de istorie”, volume 38, no. 1, 1975.
- Dan Berindei, Frământările grănicerilor şi dorobanţilor în jurul formării taberei de la Floreşti – vara anului 1859, in “Studii”, X (1957), no. 3.
- Mircea Dumitriu, Rolul lui Mircea Mălăeru în evenimentele premergătoare Unirii Principatelor şi după alegerea lui Alexandru Ion Cuza ca domnitor, in vol. Ilfov file de istorie, Centre for Culture and Education of Ilfov County Publishing, Bucharest, 1978.
- N. Iorga, Mișcarea țerănească din 1862 – acte ale Poliției din București, in “Revista Istorică”, year XXIII, no. 7-9 July, September 1937.
- V. Mihordea, Răscoala grănicerilor de la 1866, Bucharest, Academy Publishing House, 1958.
- Ioan Scurtu, Istoria românilor în timpul celor patru regi (1866-1947), 2nd Edition, revised and completed, Vol. I Carol I, Bucharest, Enciclopedic Publishing, 2004.
- Constantin C. Giurescu, Cuvântările regelui Carol I, vol. I, 1866-1886, Bucharest, King Carol II Publishing for Literature and Art, 1939.