3rd Degree Scientific Researcher, PhD. “C.S. Nicolăescu-Plopşor” Institute for Research in Social Studies and Humanities from Craiova, of the Romanian Academy, Romania;
Published on December 20, 2021
Originating from the locality of Băbeni, where the family took their name, Băbeanu boyars are attested for the first time at the end of the 15th century, when the documents mention a certain Staie. Significant for the history of Băbeanu family is also Băbeni estate located by Olteț river, or Băbeni-Oltețu.
The name of this family is related to an impressive architectural monument from the village of Băbeni-Oltețu, a ‘cula’-a semi-fortified building, which, unfortunately, has not been preserved. The date for the construction is not known precisely, because there are not sufficient documentary proofs for drawing-up the complete history of Băbeanu family. It is very possible that the 18th century was the period when the building of the cula began.
Initially, the cula had a rectangular shape, a 12m height to the roof, and four levels (a ground-floor and three floors).
Băbeanu cula, Vâlcea county, rectangular shape, Băbeanu family, burnt brick
- Oliver Velescu, Mihai Băbeanu, logofătul de taină, in “București. Materiale de istorie și muzeografie”, XVII, 2003.
- Ion Donat, Domeniul domnesc în Țara Românească (sec. XIV-XVI), edition supervised by Gheorghe Lazăr, Bucharest, Encyclopedic Publishing, 1996.
- Constanța Badea, Mihai Pârâianu, Petronela Badea, Pâtâienii Valahiei, Râmnicu Vâlcea, Intol Press, 2017.
- ANSJ Vâlcea, Vâlcea County Court, file 475/1837, f. 20 v.
- Ion Donat, Ion Pătroiu, Dinică Ciobotea, Catagrafia Obştească a Ţării Româneşti din 1831, Craiova, Helios Press, 1999.
- Sabina Cenuşe, Dinică Ciobotea, Proprietatea asupra pământului în judeţul Vâlcea (1722-1912), in “Istorie şi societate”, coord. Marusia Cârstea, Sorin Liviu Damean, Doru Liciu, Bucharest, Mica Valahie Press, 2004.
- ANSJ Dolj, Historical Monument Commission, file 31.
- Radu Creţeanu, Sarmiza Creţeanu, Culele din Oltenia, Bucharest, Meridiane Press, 1969.